Whether it’s an ashram in rural India or a 5-star facility in some far flung destination, you’ve done the research and selected the ideal health retreat. Or so you thought as you’re poked and prodded, basted in oil and prescribed foul tasting medicinal potions. Here are 10 reasons to stick it out.
- Feeling good. No matter what happens, or how tired or confronted or hungry or sick you feel, it passes. You will feel better and be healthier than when you arrived. You’ll leave renewed, refreshed and re-set.
- Looking fab. Let your inner-beauty shine, which won’t be a problem since you’ll be glistening from the treatments. May as well skip the make-up, because not only will you shed some weight, your eyes will be clearer, skin smoother and sweat odourless, which is just as well as you’ll also have a heightened sense of smell.
3. Life changing. While transforming your body into a clean-mean living-machine, you’ll also be interacting with spiritually like-minded individuals from all walks of life. What you’ll learn about yourself and the universe may just blow your mind and change your perspective on the ways of the world entirely.
4. It’s not a cult. You haven’t check into Hotel California because you CAN leave at any time. If the collective consciousness aren’t your cup of herbal tea then take comfort knowing you probably won’t ever have to see them again. Or open your mind up to the possibility that the connections you make will be long lasting?
5. Escape. How often do we get to leave our own reality and enter an unfamiliar state of consciousness? As your mind and body detox, enjoy the space and distance from your life, relax as your mind quietens down and enjoy the opportunity for personal reflection.
6. Indulge. Tuck into the fresh meals prepared for you at the hands of experts and relish in those epically long and decadent massages. But most of all, indulge in every part of yourself.
7. Rest. All those massages, languorous naps, early nights and mediative exercises mean you’ll spend much time in the horizontal position. If that isn’t every woman’s dream, I don’t know what is.
8. Food. The menu will obviously be healthy, which doesn’t necessarily mean it won’t taste great. You might not convert to vegetarianism or become a vegan but it will make you think about your diet back home. Consider it a good wake-up call.
9. Challenging. As a wise person once said, “If it’s not scary, it’s not worth doing.” Accept that it’s going to be difficult and consider positive thinking to be the ultimate challenge and you might just start to thrive.
10. Coincidences. Whether you’re enjoying yourself or not, there are no coincidences; you are in the exact place you’re meant to be all along.