If you’re moo-ving around the Margaret River region three hours south of Perth, you may notice some life-size cow sculptures left-over from the CowParade Margaret River, an international event held in over 50 cities. The competition saw local artists hussling up the bovine creatures in all kinds of attire and positions. It seems only appropriate to start your cow hunt in the charming dairy town of Cowaramup, situated on the Bussell Highway and just 10 minutes north of Margaret River.
1) At the tooth-achingly sweet Candy Cow, watch honeycombe being made, sample fudge in every possible flavour imaginable, and lose yourself and fillings in lollies galore.
2) Next door is the Margaret Riviera full to the brim with gourmet goodies sourced locally and internationally. Stock up on handmade pasta, venison, ostrich, olive oils, Yallingup wood-fired bread and cheese.
3) Source magic potions two doors down at Moon Haven Soaps, Lotions and Potions. Concocting soaps, skin care products, and aromatherapy and herbal potions, there is something for all conditions and indulgences.
4) If you don’t want to ruin that zen feeling, Settler’s Ridge are famous for their organic wines, but certainly not at the expense of taste. The Sangiovese Novello and Tawny Port have been popular choices for years but a sample of their complete range in the cosy tasting room will help to make up your own mind.
5) What’s an outing in the country without some cow-spotting?
Pssst, if you weren’t successful in some cow sightings of the arty kind, rumour has it certain cows have made their way to Perth. Apparently, one has snuck into the State Library of WA…but you didn’t hear it from me.
Candy Cow, 3 Bottrill St, Cowaramup,+61 8 9755 9155, www.candycow.com.au
Margaret Riviera, 4 Bottrill St, Cowaramup, +61 8 9755 9333, www.margaretriviera.com.au
Settler’s Ridge organic wines, 54B Bussell Highway, Cowaramup, +61 8 9755 5883 www.settlersridge.com.au
Moon Haven Soaps, Lotions and Potions, cnr Bottrill St and Bussell Hwy, +61 8 9755 5470
As published on NileGuide June 2010 http://nileguide.com